MCTrail and the Meredith Tunnel PDF Print E-mail
Article Index
MCTrail and the Meredith Tunnel
Trail Facts
Directions to Trailheads
All Pages

MCTRAIL, starting near Prickett's Fort and ending at the corner of Winfield Street and Morgantown Avenue, offers 2.5 miles of the converted railway property for walkers, joggers, and bikers with connecting trails to Prickett's Fort State Park and the future trail to Morgantown. Its name is an adopted form of "Marion County Trail".
In 1989 MCPARC took ownership of 125 acres of Monongahela Railroad property. The trail was completed in 1993, while the 1200 foot long Meredith Tunnel has been restored to its original 1914 condition.

In 2001, it was determined that a 650 foot "Connector Trail" would be created to better provide a path from the trailhead to the Mon River Trail.  The MRTC, MCPARC, Marion County Commission, and "Friends of the Trail Project" began the goal of obtaining the land needed and worked to build this connector trail.

The southern trailhead was completed in the fall of 2004, and the northern trailhead was completed in 2008 with most of the work being done by the MCPARC staff.

"Get the Flash Player" "to see this gallery."